Breaking News
2027 Poll: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi Face Scrutiny as Campaigns Open Amid Rising Tensions
Tinubu, Atiku and Obi emerge as the main figures in the 2027 presidential race as concerns grow over hate speech, personal attacks, misinformation and violence.
With the 2027 general election campaigns now underway, attention has shifted to President Bola Tinubu, Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi as political parties intensify their mobilisation ahead of what is expected to be a closely watched presidential contest.
The campaigns officially opened on August 19, 2026, with the presidential and National Assembly elections scheduled for January 16, 2027.
But beyond the competition for votes, there is growing anxiety among stakeholders that the campaign season could be marked by hate speech, ethnic and religious profiling, misinformation, violence and attacks on political opponents.
The fears persist despite the National Peace Accord signed by some presidential candidates last week. The agreement, facilitated by the National Peace Committee and supported by the Kukah Centre, commits political actors to peaceful and issue-based engagement.
Obi was among the presidential candidates who signed the accord, while Tinubu was represented by SGF George Akume. Atiku, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, did not attend the ceremony.
The political temperature has already risen, with Atiku challenging Tinubu’s qualifications in court over his alleged non-participation in the National Youth Service Corps programme. Obi is also pursuing a case in the United States seeking FBI records connected to a drug case in which Tinubu forfeited funds to the US government.
For some observers, the developments are reminiscent of the 2023 presidential contest, when the rivalry between major candidates was accompanied by intense personal attacks.
Dr Joe Okei Odumakin, President of the Centre for Change, warned that social media could become a major source of tension.
“I am particularly worried about the weaponisation of social media, where false information, manipulated videos and inflammatory statements can spread within minutes and create tension in communities,” she said.
She urged candidates to “challenge the records and policies of their opponents rather than resort to mudslinging and unsubstantiated allegations.”
ActionAid Nigeria Country Director, Dr Andrew Mamedu, also warned that politicians must not abandon issues affecting Nigerians in favour of identity-based politics.
“The 2027 campaign should be a competition of ideas about how we solve those problems, not a competition over who can insult an opponent most effectively,” he said.
But Afenifere General Secretary, Chief Ademola Folarin, offered a less alarmist assessment, saying Nigerians were already familiar with hate speech and ethnic profiling during election seasons.
“The opposition, bereft of alternative ideas, will amplify personal attacks in order to suppress the scorecard of the incumbent,” Folarin said.
Meanwhile, former political adviser to President Olusegun Obasanjo, Chief Akin Osuntokun, said negative campaign tactics were likely to remain part of the political landscape.
“Unfortunately, there will always be the presence of those factors because they are effective political instruments. What we should hope and pray for is that they will be the exception and not the rule,” he said.
With the campaigns gathering pace, stakeholders are urging the political class to ensure that the 2027 election is fought over ideas, policies and competence rather than ethnicity, religion, violence or personal attacks.
Africans Angle News