Breaking News
Faye Removes Senegal PM Sonko After Months of Political Tension
President Bassirou Diomaye Faye dissolved Senegal’s government and removed PM Ousmane Sonko following months of political discord and economic pressure.
A growing power struggle at the top of Senegal’s government escalated Friday after President Bassirou Diomaye Faye dismissed Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko and dissolved the cabinet.
The decision was announced in a decree broadcast on state television by presidential aide Oumar Samba Ba, who declared that Faye “has ended the duties of Ousmane Sonko… and consequently those of the ministers and secretaries of state who are members of the government”.
Authorities did not immediately indicate who would replace Sonko as prime minister.
Following his dismissal, Sonko reacted on Facebook, writing: “Alhamdulillah (praise be to God). Tonight I will sleep soundly in the Keur Gorgui neighbourhood.”
AFP journalists reported that the former prime minister arrived home after midnight to enthusiastic cheers from hundreds of supporters waiting for him in Dakar.
Senegal’s political landscape has been shaped by the close but increasingly strained relationship between Faye and Sonko, once political allies within the ruling Pastef movement.
Sonko, a charismatic opposition figure before the 2024 elections, was prevented from running for president because of a defamation conviction. Faye eventually secured victory, with many observers believing Sonko’s support base played a major role in the outcome.
The pair campaigned on promises to tackle corruption and reform an economy struggling under heavy debt burdens.
However, tensions between the two men became more public in recent months. Earlier this month, Faye criticised Sonko’s “excessive personalisation” within the ruling party and hinted at possible political changes.
“As long as he remains prime minister, it is because he has my confidence. When that is no longer the case, there will be a new prime minister,” the president said during a televised appearance.
Sonko later accused Faye of showing a “failure of leadership” for failing to support him against critics.
Hours before his dismissal, Sonko had strongly criticised Western governments over criticism of Senegal’s new law increasing penalties for same-sex relations.
“If they have opted for these practices, it’s their problem, but we don’t have any lessons to take from them, absolutely none,” he said, referring particularly to criticism from France.
Sonko’s popularity has remained strong among many young Senegalese, especially because of his pan-Africanist rhetoric and outspoken criticism of French influence in Africa.
Meanwhile, Senegal’s government continues to grapple with severe economic pressures. According to the International Monetary Fund, the country’s debt has climbed to 132 percent of GDP, making it one of the most indebted nations in sub-Saharan Africa.
Despite his dismissal, Sonko could still remain a major political figure ahead of the 2029 presidential election. Last month, Senegal’s parliament approved electoral reforms removing provisions that barred candidates with defamation convictions from contesting elections, potentially reopening the door for his candidacy.
Africans Angle News