Breaking News
Panic in Oyo as Abducted Teacher Reportedly Killed by Bandits
Governor Seyi Makinde confirms an abducted teacher was killed after gunmen attacked schools in Oyo State and kidnapped dozens of teachers and pupils.
Fear and uncertainty have gripped Ahoro-Esinele community in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State after reports emerged that one of the teachers kidnapped during last week’s school invasion has allegedly been killed.
Residents said the teacher was murdered while being held by the abductors, worsening anxiety among relatives of the remaining victims and members of the community awaiting official updates from security agencies.
The gunmen reportedly attacked Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, and Yawota Baptist Nursery and Primary School on Friday, arriving on motorcycles before abducting teachers and schoolchildren.
Community sources claimed that 46 people were kidnapped during the operation, including seven teachers and 39 pupils and students.
Those listed among the abducted teachers include principal Mrs Alamu Folawe, vice principal Mr Ojo Jonathan, Mr Olatunde Zacchaeus, Mr John Olaleye, Mr Michael Oyedokun, Mrs Oladeji and Mary Akanbi.
Villagers further alleged that the attackers stole four motorcycles before fleeing the area.
Tension increased after a video circulated online showing Mrs Alamu appealing for help from the Federal Government, the Oyo State Government and Nigerians, urging authorities to secure the victims’ freedom peacefully.
The Oyo State Police Command had earlier confirmed the attack and said tactical teams and intelligence officers were deployed for rescue operations.
Governor Seyi Makinde, while addressing journalists after a security review meeting in Ibadan, described the situation as difficult and assured residents that all security agencies were fully mobilised.
“We have just concluded a review of the security situation, following the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren,” Makinde said.
“Please be assured that the government is working round the clock to address this situation and to ensure that we tackle these challenges decisively.”
The governor disclosed that security operatives encountered improvised explosive devices during rescue efforts, leading to injuries among personnel.
“One of the Amotekun operative is in a critical condition in the hospital, while a few soldiers, hunters, and other operatives were wounded during the operation,” he said.
Makinde also confirmed receiving reports that one of the abducted teachers had been killed.
“Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, I understand the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists earlier today,” he stated.
He explained that the state government had adopted a broader strategy involving traditional institutions, religious leaders and local stakeholders alongside military operations.
“We have, therefore, decided that we will not rely solely on kinetic measures,” the governor noted.
Makinde disclosed that six suspects believed to be informants had been arrested within the community, while three other persons of interest were apprehended elsewhere in the state.
He warned that increased military pressure on armed groups in Northern Nigeria was contributing to the movement of terrorists toward southern states.
“We must also recognise that with increased pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will continue to move southwards,” he said.
The governor promised sustained operations until all abducted victims are rescued and normalcy restored.
Africans Angle News