Breaking News
Police officer in viral ‘don’t film me’ video apologises, says threat was made in anger
Newton Isokpehi, the officer in a viral video threatening Nigerians over filming, has apologised and said his remarks were made in anger.
Newton Isokpehi, the police officer whose viral video threatening Nigerians over filming officers on duty sparked outrage online, has apologised to the public, saying he spoke out of anger and frustration.
In a fresh video posted on TikTok on Thursday, the officer pleaded for forgiveness from Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu, who shared the controversial clip on social media.
“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening. These things are painful,” he said.
Speaking in Pidgin English, Isokpehi clarified that he was not opposed to members of the public recording police officers, insisting that his earlier comments had been misunderstood.
“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty. They have taken it too far,” he said.
The officer, who disclosed that he is from Edo State and grew up in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a loyal officer who had spent years serving Nigeria.
“Anywhere people ask about me, people will testify to my character. I have worked in the Mobile Police for 12 years. I have worked for my fatherland with all my heart,” he stated.
As part of his appeal, Isokpehi showed scars and gunshot wounds on his body, saying they were injuries sustained during operations in the line of duty.
“Look at my body, these are all bullets. These are all gunshot wounds. See my chest, bullet has eaten into it. Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation,” he said.
According to him, the emotional stress and sacrifices associated with police work contributed to his outburst.
“We have suffered in this work. So it was out of annoyance. We don’t even like complaining,” he added.
Isokpehi also denied having any intention to attack civilians despite the language used in the earlier video.
“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he stated.
Addressing Gwamnishu directly, the officer said the backlash from the incident had become overwhelming.
“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far. If you want to know me, come and meet me one-on-one. You will know me personally. I will not run. I will not surrender,” he said.
He ended the video by expressing optimism that welfare and working conditions for police personnel would improve under the leadership of the Inspector General of Police.
“We have decided that we will die for our fatherland. One day, things will surely get better by the grace of God. One love to the world,” he added.
The apology followed widespread criticism after a video surfaced online showing the officer threatening to “clear everybody down,” including bystanders around anyone filming him while on duty.
At the time of this report, the Nigeria Police Force had yet to release an official statement on the matter.
Africans Angle News