Connect with us

Breaking News

Police officer in viral ‘don’t film me’ video apologises, says threat was made in anger

Newton Isokpehi, the officer in a viral video threatening Nigerians over filming, has apologised and said his remarks were made in anger.

Published

on

Newton-Isokpehi-e1779365734178

Newton Isokpehi, the police officer whose viral video threatening Nigerians over filming officers on duty sparked outrage online, has apologised to the public, saying he spoke out of anger and frustration.

In a fresh video posted on TikTok on Thursday, the officer pleaded for forgiveness from Nigerians and rights activist Harrison Gwamnishu, who shared the controversial clip on social media.

“Please forgive me. If I offended you as a brother, forgive me. That statement was just out of annoyance because of the things that are happening. These things are painful,” he said.

Speaking in Pidgin English, Isokpehi clarified that he was not opposed to members of the public recording police officers, insisting that his earlier comments had been misunderstood.

“Actually, you can video us. You are allowed to video a policeman. But it’s not right for just anybody to come from anywhere and start videoing officers on duty. They have taken it too far,” he said.

Advertisement

The officer, who disclosed that he is from Edo State and grew up in a police barracks in Kaduna, described himself as a loyal officer who had spent years serving Nigeria.

“Anywhere people ask about me, people will testify to my character. I have worked in the Mobile Police for 12 years. I have worked for my fatherland with all my heart,” he stated.

As part of his appeal, Isokpehi showed scars and gunshot wounds on his body, saying they were injuries sustained during operations in the line of duty.

“Look at my body, these are all bullets. These are all gunshot wounds. See my chest, bullet has eaten into it. Out of 17 of us, only two survived that operation,” he said.

According to him, the emotional stress and sacrifices associated with police work contributed to his outburst.

Advertisement

“We have suffered in this work. So it was out of annoyance. We don’t even like complaining,” he added.

Isokpehi also denied having any intention to attack civilians despite the language used in the earlier video.

“How can I be saying I will kill my own people? We don’t do that. I spoke out of annoyance. That one was just verbal talk,” he stated.

Addressing Gwamnishu directly, the officer said the backlash from the incident had become overwhelming.

“Harrison, forgive me. I beg the whole of Nigeria, please forgive me. This one has reached too far. If you want to know me, come and meet me one-on-one. You will know me personally. I will not run. I will not surrender,” he said.

Advertisement

He ended the video by expressing optimism that welfare and working conditions for police personnel would improve under the leadership of the Inspector General of Police.

“We have decided that we will die for our fatherland. One day, things will surely get better by the grace of God. One love to the world,” he added.

The apology followed widespread criticism after a video surfaced online showing the officer threatening to “clear everybody down,” including bystanders around anyone filming him while on duty.

At the time of this report, the Nigeria Police Force had yet to release an official statement on the matter.

Africans Angle News

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Contents

Topical Issues

Tinubu Tinubu
Breaking News9 hours ago

Oil Workers Appeal to Tinubu to End Casualisation in Upstream Sector

NUPENG is seeking presidential intervention to end casualisation in Nigeria’s oil industry while commending Tinubu’s infrastructure and energy policies.

Breaking News9 hours ago

Odama Regains Freedom as Court Strikes Out Case Over Alleged Online Bullying of Otu

Denis Odama has regained his freedom after spending seven days at Afokang Correctional Centre as the prosecution withdrew the case...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
Breaking News9 hours ago

Atiku Rules Out 2031 Presidential Bid, Says 2027 Will Be His Last

Atiku Abubakar has ruled out contesting Nigeria’s presidency again after 2027 and urged Nigerians to vote and protect their ballots.

Army - Military - Soldier Army - Military - Soldier
Forgotten Dairies12 hours ago

They Serve The Nation, Now Who Will Serve Them? -By Yusuf Kabiru David

The Ministry of Defence and other relevant government agencies must take responsibility by ensuring that pension matters are handled with...

VOTERS IN NIGERIA VOTERS IN NIGERIA
Forgotten Dairies12 hours ago

As 2027 Elections Campaign Begins: Issue-Based Politics or Another Jamboree? -By Onyejaka Alexander Arinzechukwu

The 2027 election campaign has begun at a moment when Nigerians are asking profound questions about the direction of their...

Forgotten Dairies12 hours ago

Kaycee’s Arrest And The Need To Ask Nigeria’s Rich: Where Did The Money Come From? -By Isaac Asabor

The objective should not be to criminalize wealth. It should be to make “legitimate wealth explainable and illicit wealth traceable”....

Isaac Asabor Isaac Asabor
Forgotten Dairies14 hours ago

With Osun Election, Who Says Votes Don’t Count? -By Isaac Asabor

And if Nigerians truly want better leadership in 2027 and beyond, the answer should not be to stay away from...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
National Issues15 hours ago

Atiku Will Bring Back Fuel Subsidy? The Memory We Must Not Erase -By Abdullahi Abubakar

You cannot tell Nigerians yesterday that subsidy must go, then return tomorrow and promise to bring it back as though...

Breaking News15 hours ago

Sowunmi: Tinubu May Win 2027 Election but Still Face Rigging Allegations

Segun Sowunmi warns that rejecting the 2027 election outcome could threaten Nigeria’s stability, urging politicians to accept voters’ verdict.

Molue bus Molue bus
Breaking News16 hours ago

FG Adds 360MW Transmission Capacity to Lagos Electricity Network

The FG has commissioned upgraded Lagos substations, adding 360MW of transmission capacity to improve electricity supply to homes and businesses.