Connect with us

Breaking News

‘I Lost Six Brothers’ — Survivor Speaks After Jilli Market Airstrike Kills Dozens

Conflicting accounts emerge over Jilli airstrike as resident alleges civilian deaths and mass burials.

Published

on

VIOLENCE

Mallam Abatcha Gubio, a resident of Jilli community on the Borno–Yobe border, has recounted his loss following last Saturday’s airstrike on the Jilli market, saying six of his brothers were among those killed and over 100 victims have since been buried.

The airstrike targeted a location long regarded by security agencies as a hub for insurgent activity. Known locally as “Kasu Daulaye,” the market had been shut down by the Borno State Government about five years ago due to its links to terrorist logistics and operations.

Nonetheless, residents continued to use the market, citing its importance to surrounding communities lacking alternative trading centres.

Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa, defended the strike, insisting it was based on credible intelligence and aimed at individuals collaborating with insurgents.
“There was no innocent person there… They were there for business with terrorists,” he said.

But Gubio challenged that position, maintaining that civilians were caught in the attack.
“We grew up knowing the market and it operates legally… Many people from Benesheikh, Damasak, Geidam, Magumeri, Maiduguri and even Niger Republic patronize it,” he said.
He added: “We have succeeded in burying over 100 dead bodies so far recovered in the market.”

Advertisement

He explained that economic necessity kept the market active despite restrictions, describing it as a central hub where livestock and goods were sold at lower prices.

Security sources indicated that the fighter jet involved had been tracking suspected insurgents believed to be at the market to collect levies and source supplies.

Backing the military action, former Army Chief Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai (retd.) said the strike was justified, noting that the market had repeatedly been used by Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters.
“No military wishes to harm civilians, but when such locations are persistently used by terrorists, action becomes necessary,” he said, while acknowledging reports of civilian casualties as “painful and deeply regrettable.”

Buratai also warned residents of nearby communities to avoid engaging in trade at locations linked to insurgents, stressing that such interactions could expose them to future military operations.

Africans Angle News

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Contents

Topical Issues

Tinubu Tinubu
Breaking News7 hours ago

Oil Workers Appeal to Tinubu to End Casualisation in Upstream Sector

NUPENG is seeking presidential intervention to end casualisation in Nigeria’s oil industry while commending Tinubu’s infrastructure and energy policies.

Breaking News7 hours ago

Odama Regains Freedom as Court Strikes Out Case Over Alleged Online Bullying of Otu

Denis Odama has regained his freedom after spending seven days at Afokang Correctional Centre as the prosecution withdrew the case...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
Breaking News7 hours ago

Atiku Rules Out 2031 Presidential Bid, Says 2027 Will Be His Last

Atiku Abubakar has ruled out contesting Nigeria’s presidency again after 2027 and urged Nigerians to vote and protect their ballots.

Army - Military - Soldier Army - Military - Soldier
Forgotten Dairies9 hours ago

They Serve The Nation, Now Who Will Serve Them? -By Yusuf Kabiru David

The Ministry of Defence and other relevant government agencies must take responsibility by ensuring that pension matters are handled with...

VOTERS IN NIGERIA VOTERS IN NIGERIA
Forgotten Dairies10 hours ago

As 2027 Elections Campaign Begins: Issue-Based Politics or Another Jamboree? -By Onyejaka Alexander Arinzechukwu

The 2027 election campaign has begun at a moment when Nigerians are asking profound questions about the direction of their...

Forgotten Dairies10 hours ago

Kaycee’s Arrest And The Need To Ask Nigeria’s Rich: Where Did The Money Come From? -By Isaac Asabor

The objective should not be to criminalize wealth. It should be to make “legitimate wealth explainable and illicit wealth traceable”....

Isaac Asabor Isaac Asabor
Forgotten Dairies12 hours ago

With Osun Election, Who Says Votes Don’t Count? -By Isaac Asabor

And if Nigerians truly want better leadership in 2027 and beyond, the answer should not be to stay away from...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
National Issues13 hours ago

Atiku Will Bring Back Fuel Subsidy? The Memory We Must Not Erase -By Abdullahi Abubakar

You cannot tell Nigerians yesterday that subsidy must go, then return tomorrow and promise to bring it back as though...

Breaking News13 hours ago

Sowunmi: Tinubu May Win 2027 Election but Still Face Rigging Allegations

Segun Sowunmi warns that rejecting the 2027 election outcome could threaten Nigeria’s stability, urging politicians to accept voters’ verdict.

Molue bus Molue bus
Breaking News13 hours ago

FG Adds 360MW Transmission Capacity to Lagos Electricity Network

The FG has commissioned upgraded Lagos substations, adding 360MW of transmission capacity to improve electricity supply to homes and businesses.