Connect with us

Breaking News

Atiku: ‘100 Million Tinubus Can’t Stop Me’ From Restoring Targeted Fuel Subsidy

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar defends his targeted fuel subsidy plan and accuses the Tinubu administration of favouring oil investors over Nigerians.

Published

on

Tinubu-and-Atiku-

ABUJA: Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has vowed to pursue a targeted fuel subsidy for Nigerians, declaring that even “millions of his gang of economic jesters” cannot prevent him from implementing the policy.

Atiku, who is the African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, made the declaration while accusing President Bola Tinubu’s administration of using the language of subsidy removal to describe its economic policies while granting fiscal concessions to oil investors.

His Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday.

Atiku questioned the Federal Government’s insistence that petrol subsidy had been eliminated, pointing to tax credits and other incentives still available to petroleum operators.

He also relied on NNPC’s audited financial statements to argue that government resources continued to cover petrol-related price differentials after the subsidy removal announcement.

Advertisement

“In 2023, NNPC’s accounts recorded approximately ₦4.84 trillion as energy-security expenses and related shortfalls, while its 2024 audited financial statements subsequently recorded about ₦7.13 trillion under energy-security expenses,” the statement read.

Atiku said NNPC had explained that part of the expense arose from differences between the exchange rate used to determine the regulated PMS ex-coastal price and the exchange rate prevailing when import obligations were settled.

“Government was still absorbing a price differential after Tinubu had triumphantly announced that subsidy was gone,” he said.

The former Vice President maintained that the terminology used by government to describe the expenditure was irrelevant if public funds were still being used to bridge the difference between petrol’s economic cost and its regulated selling price.

“Nigerians do not eat semantics,” Atiku said.

Advertisement

He added: “Whether government calls it subsidy, under-recovery, shortfall or energy security, public resources were being used to bridge a gap between economic cost and the price at which petrol was sold. You cannot abolish subsidy at the podium and resurrect it in the accounts under an alias.”

‘Protecting Workers Is Not Bad Economics’

Atiku further pointed to the Deep Offshore Oil and Gas Projects Incentives framework, which allows qualifying petroleum projects to access production tax credits starting at $3 and $4.50 per barrel.

He said the policy showed that government intervention was possible when it benefited large oil investments but was being rejected when aimed at easing the burden on ordinary Nigerians.

“The government can protect a multibillion-dollar oil investment from risk, yet it says protecting the Nigerian worker from crushing hardship is bad economics,” he said.

“It can bend policy to make every barrel of crude more profitable, but tells a struggling mother that making the litre of petrol she needs to take her children to school more affordable is irresponsible.”

Advertisement

Atiku said his targeted subsidy proposal would not revive the previous system, which he described as “opaque and corruption-ridden.”

Instead, he proposed what he described as a targeted and controlled intervention.

The statement said the plan would involve “a targeted, capped, transparently budgeted and independently audited intervention with a clearly defined exit mechanism,” while also accelerating domestic refining, encouraging competition, expanding mass transportation and restoring household purchasing power.

Atiku also called on the government to publish details of petroleum tax concessions granted to investors, including the beneficiaries and the revenue forgone.

He accused the administration of applying different economic standards to corporations and ordinary Nigerians.

Advertisement

“A government cannot preach unrestrained market forces to the poor while practising interventionist economics for his rich foreign friends,” he said.

“It cannot demand sacrifice from Nigerian families while extending concessions to powerful corporate interests.”

Atiku concluded: “It cannot provide cushions for corporations and punishment for citizens and then call the resulting misery reform. That is not economic reform. It is classic economic apartheid.”

Africans Angle News

 

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Contents

Topical Issues

Breaking News2 hours ago

NDLEA Arrests 101-Year-Old Woman Over Alleged Cannabis Sales in Ogun

A 101-year-old woman has been arrested in Ogun for allegedly selling cannabis. NDLEA says she claimed her daughter supplied the...

Tife Owolabi Tife Owolabi
Opinion5 hours ago

Part 1: Don’t Blame Anyone If You Don’t Succeed in Life -By Tife Owolabi

Because of my circumstances at the time, I could not obtain all the subjects I needed in one sitting. I...

Dele Momodu Dele Momodu
Breaking News6 hours ago

Dele Momodu Reaffirms Osun Roots: ‘I Love Osun State, I No Go Lie’

Dele Momodu says his bond with Osun State dates back to his birth and upbringing in Ile-Ife, while defending his...

Breaking News6 hours ago

Mirabel Returns to TikTok After Rehabilitation: ‘I Survived, So I’m Awaiting Your Hate Comments’

TikToker Mirabel returns to TikTok after rehabilitation, writing “I survived” and “Out of therapy but not healed” in her latest...

INEC - Amupitan INEC - Amupitan
Breaking News7 hours ago

2027 Poll: SERAP Demands INEC Disclosure of Donation Limits, Party Financial Records

SERAP gives INEC seven days to disclose political contribution limits, party finances and enforcement measures ahead of the 2027 elections.

Breaking News7 hours ago

Canada Hits Back With Tariffs as Trump Trade War Escalates

Canada is striking back at the United States with new tariffs after trade negotiations between the two countries collapsed, deepening...

Canada Canada
Breaking News7 hours ago

Canada Warns Nigerians, Other Visa Seekers of Four Major Immigration Scam Red Flags

Nigerians seeking to travel, study or work in Canada are warned about four visa fraud red flags, including fake IRCC...

PFIPC scandal - Gbajabiamila and Prince Adeyemi PFIPC scandal - Gbajabiamila and Prince Adeyemi
Breaking News7 hours ago

ICPC Uncovers Alleged Fake Agency That Claimed 2017 FEC Approval

An alleged fake federal agency reportedly operated for years inside the OSGF and claimed Buhari-era FEC approval. ICPC has launched...

Maiduguri-Flooding-Opinion-Nigeria Maiduguri-Flooding-Opinion-Nigeria
Breaking News8 hours ago

Abuja Flood: Asokoro, Maitama, Guzape Under Water as Residents Count Losses

Abuja residents are counting their losses after unprecedented flooding hit Asokoro, Maitama and Guzape, prompting Wike to order demolitions on...

Peter Obi, Atiku and Tinubu Peter Obi, Atiku and Tinubu
Breaking News8 hours ago

2027 Poll: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi Face Scrutiny as Campaigns Open Amid Rising Tensions

Tinubu, Atiku and Obi emerge as the main figures in the 2027 presidential race as concerns grow over hate speech,...