Breaking News
Operation HADIN KAI rescues 92 abductees, dismisses allowance allegations
Troops of Operation HADIN KAI rescued 92 abductees and recovered eight vehicles after engaging Boko Haram terrorists in Borno State.
Operation HADIN KAI troops have rescued 92 kidnapped civilians after disrupting a Boko Haram/ISWAP operation along the Biu–Buratai–Kamuya–Damaturu road in Borno State.
The rescue mission was carried out on Saturday, 23 May 2026, around 11:22am in the Biu Local Government Area, according to a statement released by the Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force North East Operation HADIN KAI, Lt. Col. Sani Uba.
Uba said alert troops of the 135 Special Forces Battalion at Dutse Kura spotted terrorists herding civilians and vehicles into the bush through surveillance monitoring.
Following the discovery, troops launched a coordinated response involving the battalion’s Quick Reaction Force and reinforcement personnel from the 27 Task Force Brigade Garrison.
“Converging on the terrorists in a well-coordinated pursuit towards the Mangari-Dora general area, OPHK troops engaged the insurgents and forced them to abandon their captives and flee in confusion,” the statement read.
The military said 92 victims — including 52 men, 33 women and seven children — were rescued, while eight vehicles were also recovered.
According to the statement, the insurgents planted three IEDs along the Bula Zarma–Mangari route in a failed attempt to halt troop advancement.
“The plot failed completely. The unit’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team responded with precision and successfully detonated all three devices,” Uba said.
Troops reportedly continued pursuit beyond the Mangari area, while search operations confirmed that the fleeing terrorists had abandoned both their captives and operational objectives.
The military also confirmed that no personnel or equipment casualties were recorded during the operation.
The rescued civilians were later given welfare support and escorted to Damaturu.
In a separate development, the Theatre Command rejected allegations in a viral video claiming troops had not been paid allowances and that a soldier was victimised after raising concerns.
“The Theatre Command categorically states that the claims contained in the video are false, misleading, and a deliberate attempt to misinform the public and discredit the military command structure,” the statement said.
Uba maintained that all approved allowances for troops under Operation HADIN KAI had been paid up to May 2026.
He explained that the disputed payment involved a supplementary incentive for personnel securing a critical national asset in Tuba, previously funded by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation before the Borno State Government assumed responsibility.
“At the time the concern was raised, funds for this additional allowance were still pending,” he added.
The command further accused a “mischievous content creator” of circulating the video and warned against spreading unverified information on military operations.
“Operation HADIN KAI remains unwavering in its mandate to restore peace, security, and economic stability in the North-East region,” Uba concluded.
Africans Angle News
