Connect with us

Breaking News

Fresh Benue Attack: Nine Feared Dead as Armed Herdsmen Strike Mbalom Community

Gunmen killed nine in Benue’s Gwer East, destroying homes and displacing residents in an early morning Easter attack.

Published

on

Reverend-Father-Hyacinth-Iormem-Alia

A renewed attack by suspected armed herdsmen has left at least nine people dead in Agena community, Mbalom, Gwer East LGA of Benue State.

The incident, which occurred early Saturday morning, also saw several houses, the community market, and food barns set ablaze, forcing residents to flee.

The area had previously witnessed a deadly attack in 2018 at St. Ignatius Catholic Church, where 19 people, including two priests, were killed.

According to residents, the attackers, numbering over 50, infiltrated the community at dawn.

“People were fast asleep when the attackers sneaked into the community around 5am and began setting houses and the market ablaze,” a resident recounted.

Advertisement

“As residents woke up and attempted to flee, the gunmen opened fire on them… So far, nine corpses have been recovered, but we fear the number may rise.”

He described the incident as a devastating blow during the Easter period.

“It is a sad Easter for our people… We urge the government to take decisive action to stop these senseless killings,” he said.

Confirming the attack, Austin Awua, Security Adviser to the Gwer East chairman, said: “the victims are mostly young men… we have recovered nine bodies so far,” while noting that several people remain missing.

He added that the attackers struck between 4am and 5am, burning properties and leaving the community deserted.

Advertisement

Security agencies have since been deployed, while evacuation of victims is ongoing.

Local government chairman Timothy Adi assured residents that security had been strengthened and that rescue efforts were underway.

Reacting to the incident, Governor Hyacinth Alia condemned the attack, calling it a “heinous” and “barbaric” act.

“Governor Hyacinth Alia strongly condemns the heinous attack… The governor describes the barbaric act as unacceptable,” a statement from his office read.

He also warned against what he described as a pattern of attacks and pledged to intensify efforts to curb insecurity.

Advertisement

The governor further commended security agencies for their swift response and urged residents to remain vigilant and cooperate with authorities.

Africans Angle News

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Contents

Topical Issues

Breaking News1 hour ago

Odama Regains Freedom as Court Strikes Out Case Over Alleged Online Bullying of Otu

Denis Odama has regained his freedom after spending seven days at Afokang Correctional Centre as the prosecution withdrew the case...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
Breaking News1 hour ago

Atiku Rules Out 2031 Presidential Bid, Says 2027 Will Be His Last

Atiku Abubakar has ruled out contesting Nigeria’s presidency again after 2027 and urged Nigerians to vote and protect their ballots.

Army - Military - Soldier Army - Military - Soldier
Forgotten Dairies4 hours ago

They Serve The Nation, Now Who Will Serve Them? -By Yusuf Kabiru David

The Ministry of Defence and other relevant government agencies must take responsibility by ensuring that pension matters are handled with...

VOTERS IN NIGERIA VOTERS IN NIGERIA
Forgotten Dairies4 hours ago

As 2027 Elections Campaign Begins: Issue-Based Politics or Another Jamboree? -By Onyejaka Alexander Arinzechukwu

The 2027 election campaign has begun at a moment when Nigerians are asking profound questions about the direction of their...

Forgotten Dairies5 hours ago

Kaycee’s Arrest And The Need To Ask Nigeria’s Rich: Where Did The Money Come From? -By Isaac Asabor

The objective should not be to criminalize wealth. It should be to make “legitimate wealth explainable and illicit wealth traceable”....

Isaac Asabor Isaac Asabor
Forgotten Dairies7 hours ago

With Osun Election, Who Says Votes Don’t Count? -By Isaac Asabor

And if Nigerians truly want better leadership in 2027 and beyond, the answer should not be to stay away from...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
National Issues7 hours ago

Atiku Will Bring Back Fuel Subsidy? The Memory We Must Not Erase -By Abdullahi Abubakar

You cannot tell Nigerians yesterday that subsidy must go, then return tomorrow and promise to bring it back as though...

Breaking News7 hours ago

Sowunmi: Tinubu May Win 2027 Election but Still Face Rigging Allegations

Segun Sowunmi warns that rejecting the 2027 election outcome could threaten Nigeria’s stability, urging politicians to accept voters’ verdict.

Molue bus Molue bus
Breaking News8 hours ago

FG Adds 360MW Transmission Capacity to Lagos Electricity Network

The FG has commissioned upgraded Lagos substations, adding 360MW of transmission capacity to improve electricity supply to homes and businesses.

Taiwo-Oyedele Taiwo-Oyedele
Breaking News8 hours ago

Oyedele: States Must Stop Depending Solely on Federal Allocations

Taiwo Oyedele explains how Nigeria’s N15.8tn subsidy savings were shared and why the Federal Government continued to borrow.