Connect with us

Breaking News

Mohbad Death: Abuja Court to Deliver Verdict Sept. 29 on Request for Fresh Police Investigation

Abuja court will on September 29 deliver judgment on a suit filed by an NGO seeking a fresh police investigation into the circumstances surrounding Mohbad’s death.

Published

on

Mohbad

The Federal High Court in Abuja will on September 29 deliver judgment in a suit seeking an order compelling the police to reopen investigations into the death of late musician Ilerioluwa Aloba, popularly known as Mohbad.

Justice James Omotosho fixed the date after hearing submissions from Chief Tunde Falola, counsel to the applicant, on Thursday.

The case, filed by the Registered Trustees of Break the Silence Foundation and marked FHC/ABJ/CS/363/2026, names the Inspector-General of Police, the Nigeria Police Force and the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, as respondents.

At the hearing, none of the respondents appeared or were represented in court.

Falola adopted all processes filed on behalf of the foundation and urged the court to grant the reliefs sought.

Advertisement

The court also ruled on an application filed by Mr. Samson Obaboye, who sought to be joined in the suit. Obaboye argued that he supported efforts to achieve truth, transparency, accountability and justice over the circumstances of Mohbad’s death and wanted to place relevant facts before the court.

Justice Omotosho, however, dismissed the request, holding that the applicant had not shown sufficient legal interest in the matter.

The NGO had earlier secured leave from the court to commence the action through an ex-parte application seeking judicial review and an order of mandamus directing the police to carry out a fresh investigation into the singer’s death.

Addressing journalists after the proceedings, Falola said the foundation was dissatisfied with the outcome of the earlier police investigation, arguing that key areas and possible leads were not adequately explored.

He noted that the organisation was particularly interested in individuals said to have been among the last people seen with the deceased, insisting that their involvement deserved closer examination.

Advertisement

“The circumstances surrounding his death remain mysterious and deserve public attention.

“As a human rights organisation seeking justice, we believe the police should reopen the investigation,” Falola stated.

He explained that the suit was specifically designed to compel law enforcement authorities to revisit the investigation into Mohbad’s death.

Falola further argued that the failed joinder application lacked proof of any direct interest in the proceedings.

Mohbad died on September 12, 2023, in Lagos State.

Advertisement

Africans Angle News

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Contents

Topical Issues

Forgotten Dairies1 hour ago

Kaycee’s Arrest And The Need To Ask Nigeria’s Rich: Where Did The Money Come From? -By Isaac Asabor

The objective should not be to criminalize wealth. It should be to make “legitimate wealth explainable and illicit wealth traceable”....

Molue bus Molue bus
Breaking News5 hours ago

FG Adds 360MW Transmission Capacity to Lagos Electricity Network

The FG has commissioned upgraded Lagos substations, adding 360MW of transmission capacity to improve electricity supply to homes and businesses.

Taiwo-Oyedele Taiwo-Oyedele
Breaking News5 hours ago

Oyedele: States Must Stop Depending Solely on Federal Allocations

Taiwo Oyedele explains how Nigeria’s N15.8tn subsidy savings were shared and why the Federal Government continued to borrow.

Cardinal-John-Onaiyekan Cardinal-John-Onaiyekan
Breaking News14 hours ago

Onaiyekan: ‘I’m 82, Not Afraid of Anybody’ as Cardinal Defends Tinubu Meeting Comments

Cardinal Onaiyekan defends his comments about the Tinubu meeting, saying he spoke on behalf of Nigeria’s Catholic bishops and not...

Breaking News14 hours ago

Osogbo Palace Clash: One Dead After Thugs Confront Davido’s Security Team

Police say one person was killed after a clash between suspected thugs and Davido’s security team during Governor Adeleke’s visit...

Pat Utomi Pat Utomi
Breaking News14 hours ago

2027 Election: Utomi Warns of Hunger, Anger, Urges Nigerians to Vote in Large Numbers

Pat Utomi says Nigerians are hungry and angry as he calls for massive voter turnout, credible elections and an end...

Breaking News15 hours ago

UK Asylum Seekers: 6 Benefits Available to Those Staying With Friends or Family

Eligible UK asylum seekers may stay with friends or relatives while keeping weekly financial support. Here are six key benefits...

Breaking News15 hours ago

UK Visa Changes: 7 Ways New Immigration Rules Could Affect Nigerian Students

Nigerian students in the UK face tighter immigration rules, including changes to Graduate and Skilled Worker visas. Here are seven...

Adeleke Adeleke
Breaking News16 hours ago

Osogbo Palace Attack: Gunmen Exchange Fire With Adeleke’s Security Team

Suspected hoodlums reportedly attacked Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy at the Ataoja of Osogbo’s palace shortly after his INEC certificate presentation.

Leo Igwe Leo Igwe
National Issues17 hours ago

Woman Accused of Witchcraft and Set Ablaze By Son Passes Away in Calabar Cross River State -By Leo Igwe

Witchcraft accusation is a crime under the law. Witchcraft claims have no basis in reason, science or reality. As in...