Connect with us

Breaking News

Federal Government Dismisses Allegation of N8tn Illegal Spending Outside Budget

FG dismisses reports of off-budget spending, insisting all public funds are spent within constitutional and National Assembly-approved frameworks.

Published

on

Taiwo-Oyedele

The Federal Government has refuted reports claiming it spent over N8 trillion outside the approved budget, insisting that the allegation is false and based on a misunderstanding of the IMF’s 2026 Article IV Consultation Report on Nigeria.

Reacting to the reports on Sunday, the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, said suggestions that about two per cent of Nigeria’s GDP was spent outside the budget process were misleading and could create a wrong perception about the country’s fiscal management.

Oyedele stated that the government does not run any unofficial or “shadow” budget, stressing that all public spending is carried out within constitutional and legal provisions.

“The Federal Government does not operate a shadow budget or expend public funds outside the constitutional and statutory framework established for public finance,” he said.

The minister pointed to Sections 80 to 83 and 162 of the 1999 Constitution, explaining that withdrawals and expenditures of public funds must comply with constitutional provisions and laws passed by the National Assembly.

Advertisement

He explained that government spending is implemented through approved Appropriation Acts, supplementary budgets and other lawful authorities recognised by the legislature.

Oyedele also clarified that long-term capital projects extending across multiple budget years are executed under approved rollover arrangements and existing laws, noting that such projects should not be labelled as off-budget spending.

He described claims that trillions were secretly spent without parliamentary approval as baseless, arguing that no evidence had been presented to show any project carried out without appropriation.

The minister further noted that Nigeria’s public finance framework accommodates statutory transfers, first-line charges and intervention programmes created by Acts of the National Assembly.

According to him, these expenditures include allocations to development agencies, debt servicing, security interventions, infrastructure projects, disaster response measures, cost of revenue collection and approved spending for certain agencies and the Federal Capital Territory.

Advertisement

He emphasised that all such expenditures are lawful, publicly disclosed and subject to auditing and oversight mechanisms.

Oyedele added that differences in international reporting standards should not be interpreted as proof of unlawful spending.

He also rejected claims that the reported amount automatically increased Nigeria’s fiscal deficit, explaining that deficits are determined by the gap between total revenue and total expenditure.

The minister stated that the IMF’s concerns were mainly about the presentation and timing of Nigeria’s fiscal reports rather than the legality of government spending.

He disclosed that reforms were already underway to improve Nigeria’s fiscal reporting system and align it with international standards.

Advertisement

Oyedele further recalled President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s appeal during the presentation of the 2026 Appropriation Bill for an end to overlapping budgets and the adoption of a unified budgeting framework.

He said ongoing reforms had strengthened transparency, accountability, treasury operations, revenue management and the digitalisation of public finance processes.

According to him, these reforms have received positive recognition from the IMF, multilateral institutions, investors, credit rating agencies and international media organisations.

While welcoming public engagement on government finances, the minister urged analysts and commentators to rely on accurate facts and a sound understanding of the country’s fiscal structure.

“Mischaracterising technical observations as evidence of unlawful expenditure neither advances informed public discourse nor strengthens democratic accountability,” Oyedele stated.

Advertisement

Africans Angle News

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Contents

Topical Issues

Breaking News2 hours ago

Odama Regains Freedom as Court Strikes Out Case Over Alleged Online Bullying of Otu

Denis Odama has regained his freedom after spending seven days at Afokang Correctional Centre as the prosecution withdrew the case...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
Breaking News2 hours ago

Atiku Rules Out 2031 Presidential Bid, Says 2027 Will Be His Last

Atiku Abubakar has ruled out contesting Nigeria’s presidency again after 2027 and urged Nigerians to vote and protect their ballots.

Army - Military - Soldier Army - Military - Soldier
Forgotten Dairies4 hours ago

They Serve The Nation, Now Who Will Serve Them? -By Yusuf Kabiru David

The Ministry of Defence and other relevant government agencies must take responsibility by ensuring that pension matters are handled with...

VOTERS IN NIGERIA VOTERS IN NIGERIA
Forgotten Dairies5 hours ago

As 2027 Elections Campaign Begins: Issue-Based Politics or Another Jamboree? -By Onyejaka Alexander Arinzechukwu

The 2027 election campaign has begun at a moment when Nigerians are asking profound questions about the direction of their...

Forgotten Dairies5 hours ago

Kaycee’s Arrest And The Need To Ask Nigeria’s Rich: Where Did The Money Come From? -By Isaac Asabor

The objective should not be to criminalize wealth. It should be to make “legitimate wealth explainable and illicit wealth traceable”....

Isaac Asabor Isaac Asabor
Forgotten Dairies7 hours ago

With Osun Election, Who Says Votes Don’t Count? -By Isaac Asabor

And if Nigerians truly want better leadership in 2027 and beyond, the answer should not be to stay away from...

Atiku Abubakar Atiku Abubakar
National Issues8 hours ago

Atiku Will Bring Back Fuel Subsidy? The Memory We Must Not Erase -By Abdullahi Abubakar

You cannot tell Nigerians yesterday that subsidy must go, then return tomorrow and promise to bring it back as though...

Breaking News8 hours ago

Sowunmi: Tinubu May Win 2027 Election but Still Face Rigging Allegations

Segun Sowunmi warns that rejecting the 2027 election outcome could threaten Nigeria’s stability, urging politicians to accept voters’ verdict.

Molue bus Molue bus
Breaking News8 hours ago

FG Adds 360MW Transmission Capacity to Lagos Electricity Network

The FG has commissioned upgraded Lagos substations, adding 360MW of transmission capacity to improve electricity supply to homes and businesses.

Taiwo-Oyedele Taiwo-Oyedele
Breaking News9 hours ago

Oyedele: States Must Stop Depending Solely on Federal Allocations

Taiwo Oyedele explains how Nigeria’s N15.8tn subsidy savings were shared and why the Federal Government continued to borrow.