Connect with us

Breaking News

Prosecutor Says Tupac Shakur Was Killed in Gang Revenge Attack

Published

on

Nearly three decades after Tupac Shakur was killed in Las Vegas, prosecutors have told a jury that the legendary rapper was the victim of a revenge attack allegedly orchestrated by former gang leader Duane “Keffe D” Davis.

Davis, 63, is standing trial over Shakur’s 1996 murder. Prosecutor Binu Pilal told jurors Monday that Davis ordered the shooting after his nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, was publicly beaten by Shakur and others earlier that night.

“On September 7, 1996, Tupac Shakur publicly, on camera, participated in a humiliating beating of Duane Davis’s nephew, Orlando Anderson,” Pilal said.

“Then, two and a half hours later… Tupac is gunned down in a drive-by shooting from a white Cadillac in an act of revenge.”

Pilal said Davis was inside the white Cadillac during the attack but was not the gunman. Instead, prosecutors allege that he passed a gun to an occupant in the back seat and ordered the person to open fire on Shakur.

Advertisement

The prosecutor further argued that Davis had previously admitted playing a role in the killing, pointing to interviews with authorities, media appearances, private conversations and his 2019 autobiography.

“Over the years, in private interviews, in public statements, and even in private calls, Duane Davis has repeatedly told us over and over again about the anger he felt, and his own role in the revenge drive-by shooting of Tupac Shakur,” Pilal told the jury.

“And now, nearly 30 years later, we’re going to ask you to finally hold Duane Davis accountable.”

Davis denies the allegations and has pleaded not guilty. If found guilty, he could receive a life sentence without parole. The proceedings are expected to continue for more than a month.

A Murder Linked to Hip-Hop’s East-West Rivalry

Shakur’s killing has remained one of the most widely discussed cold cases in American music history. The rapper was 25 years old when he was shot and fatally wounded in Las Vegas.

Advertisement

His death came amid the intense East Coast-West Coast rivalry that dominated hip-hop in the 1990s.

Shakur, whose major hits included “California Love” and “All Eyez on Me,” was born into a family with ties to the Black Panther movement. He was raised in part in Harlem and Baltimore before establishing himself as a major West Coast figure after joining Los Angeles-based Death Row Records.

The trial will examine the long-running conflict between Death Row Records, founded by Marion “Suge” Knight, and Bad Boy Records, founded by Sean “Diddy” Combs.

Bad Boy was home to Christopher “The Notorious B.I.G.” Wallace, who was killed in March 1997, just months after Shakur’s death.

According to prosecutors, Death Row was protected by Mob Piru, a Los Angeles gang associated with the Bloods alliance. Knight was affiliated with the group, while Bad Boy Records had hired Davis’s South Side Compton Crips as bodyguards.

Advertisement

On the night Shakur was killed, he and Knight were in Las Vegas for Mike Tyson’s boxing match. Earlier, Shakur and others had beaten Anderson in retaliation for an alleged assault involving a Death Row employee.

Hours later, a white Cadillac carrying Davis, Anderson and other occupants pulled alongside Shakur’s vehicle. Shots were fired from the Cadillac, leaving Shakur critically wounded.

The investigation remained stalled for decades because authorities lacked enough evidence to make an arrest. Interest in the case was renewed following the publication of Davis’s memoir in 2019.

Davis wrote that he was sitting in the front of the Cadillac and had passed a pistol to people in the back seat. He did not, however, reveal who fired the weapon.

The other occupants of the Cadillac that night have since died.

Advertisement

Davis later changed his position, claiming his statements were simply boasts and that a ghostwriter had embellished or created parts of the account to boost book sales. He has maintained his plea of not guilty.

Africans Angle News

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Contents

Topical Issues

Fransiscus Nanga Roka - Indonesia Fransiscus Nanga Roka - Indonesia
Opinion4 hours ago

Paragard Litigation: Who Bears The Cost of Defective Contraception? -By Fransiscus Nanga Roka

The Paragard MDL is more than a legal fight over product liability; it is an assessment of America’s many failings...

Atiku-obasanjo Atiku-obasanjo
Politics5 hours ago

Atiku Abubakar And Obasanjo’s Politics Of Animosity And Blackmail -By Hajia Hadiza Mohammed

I advise Nigerians to ignore Obasanjo and his antics and his do-or-die politics. Nigerians should ignore Obasanjo and his self-righteous...

Russian Union of Journalists Journalism media Russian Union of Journalists Journalism media
Forgotten Dairies5 hours ago

The Commercialization of News and the Erosion of Trust in Nigerian Journalism -By Aliyu Umar Yusuf

This is bigger than brown envelopes. Brown envelopes tried to influence how a real story was told. Selling fake news...

Forgotten Dairies6 hours ago

No One Should Intimidate Nigerians For Political Reasons -By Abba Dukawa

Some appear more afraid of losing the goodwill, support, access and influence they enjoy within the corridors of power than...

DAPO ABIODUN DAPO ABIODUN
Breaking News15 hours ago

Osun Poll: Governor Abiodun Hails Adeleke’s Victory, Commends Tinubu

Governor Dapo Abiodun praises Osun voters for their peaceful conduct and congratulates Adeleke on his victory in the August 15...

APC APC
Breaking News15 hours ago

2027 Elections: APC Says Campaign Strategy Ready, Rules Out Rush to Start August 19

APC spokesman Felix Morka says the party will soon unveil its nationwide campaign schedule after consultations with stakeholders and candidates.

Breaking News16 hours ago

399 Rifles Seized at Lagos Port as Customs Warns Against Arms Imports Ahead of Elections

The Nigeria Customs Service has handed over 399 rifles seized at Tin-Can Island Port to NCCSALW as it warns against...

Breaking News16 hours ago

MultiChoice Nigeria: CANAL+ Ownership Won’t Affect Local Decision-Making

MultiChoice Nigeria CEO Kemi Omotosho has clarified the company's ownership structure, saying operations remain focused on the Nigerian market.

Forgotten Dairies19 hours ago

French Constitutional Council Endorses Assisted Dying: Ethical Triumph or Pandora’s Box? -By Fransiscus Nanga Roka

France has a duty to create bespoke, compassionate procedures guaranteeing that these groups receive extended palliative, psychological and social support...

Fransiscus Nanga Roka - Indonesia Fransiscus Nanga Roka - Indonesia
Global Issues19 hours ago

No Surprises Act Backfires: Who Pays the Price for Arbitrage? -By Fransiscus Nanga Roka

Absent a multi-pronged, strategic reimagination involving many of these proposals, the No Surprises Act is on a fast track to...