Breaking News
Kenya Rally Tensions: Goons Attack AFP Journalists as Violence Hits Homa Bay
Two AFP journalists were attacked in Homa Bay as violence erupted ahead of a planned opposition rally amid rising political tensions in Kenya.
HOMA BAY, Kenya — Tensions escalated in western Kenya on Sunday as violence erupted ahead of an opposition rally in Homa Bay, with two AFP journalists attacked by a group of men and their equipment stolen.
The violence occurred less than a year before Kenya’s national elections, with President William Ruto preparing to seek a second term amid growing concerns over political tensions and violence.
The opposition Linda Mwananchi movement, which aims to channel public dissatisfaction with Ruto’s administration, planned a rally in Homa Bay featuring potential presidential candidate Edwin Sifuna.
An AFP journalist reported disorder in the town centre early Sunday, with groups of men allegedly attacking people and taking their belongings.
AFP video journalist Fred Ooko and photographer Brian Ongoro said they were assaulted at approximately 9:00 am (0600 GMT) as they made their way to the rally venue.
Both were injured during the attack and lost their equipment.
“I fell on the ground and they beat me and kick me and tried to get everything from me,” Ooko said.
Men carrying sticks and machetes were reportedly seen moving around the town, while burning tyres and makeshift barricades disrupted movement along the main road.
The town centre reportedly had no visible police presence, although officers on the outskirts were stopping people heading towards the centre.
Political leaders trade warnings
Linda Mwananchi leaders had warned before the rally that armed goons were allegedly being mobilised to disrupt the event.
Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga rejected the claims, saying all political groups would be allowed to participate and urging political differences to be resolved peacefully.
She said differences “must be settled through ideas and the ballot”.
Siaya County Governor James Orengo, however, accused goons of attacking convoys heading to the rally.
“This is not the Kenya we want,” Orengo said.
“Anarchy is the one prevailing,” he added. “The police have totally surrendered their authority to the goons.”
Police spokesperson Michael Muchiri said authorities were taking steps to maintain security, issuing a statement on Sunday that offered a “reassurance of safety and security”.
Muchiri said 15 people had been arrested on Saturday and that investigations suggested the suspects “are hired criminals who allegedly planned to disrupt political activities in the area”.
The unrest has heightened concerns over political violence ahead of Kenya’s 2027 elections. A rights group said there “must be zero tolerance for political violence and intimidation” as the country approaches the polls.
Africans Angle News
